17 April 2009

Country Music

Ever since I first watched the annual country music awards in the mid 1990s I've been a big fan of modern country music. I only manage to catch the awards show on television every 2 or 3 years, but until now it has been my main source of information on new artists. When I see new artists, most of them were born in the 60's and 70's and have been singing for a couple of decades, but they're very rarely mentioned over here in the UK.

My favourite country artists to date are Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood, LeAnn Rimes, Carrie Underwood, the Dixie Chicks, Tim McGraw, Chely Wright and Jessica Andrews.

In the past I have subscribed to various music sites so that I could try new music and play albums that I don't own. Having recently cancelled my subscription I had a look around and found last.fm - a wonderful free site for playing music. You can type in your favourite artist and then get a constant stream of songs by similar artists. This has been wonderful for my country music education and already I have found some new artists that I really like - Deana Carter, Jo dee messina, Lila McCann, Blake Shelton & Julie Roberts.

I'd definitely recommend trying last.fm and for anyone interested in country music the film Walk the Line is a must-see.

3 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

I love country music. When we first got Cable there was a Country Music Channel and I used to have it on a lot - not to watch but simply to listen to it. Sadly they took it off and there is no such channel on Sky either. It seems the Americans are much better catered for than we are.

Dewi Elliott said...

Cool!! I love to listen to music (any kind of music). My favourite country music singers are the legendary Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, and Shania Twain too.

Helen said...

I do remember watching Faith Hill on the country music channel at Yew Tree, but can't have been paying much attention to the others at the time.